Mobile Angel

My thoughts on the latest developments in the mobile world, and a place to express my creative ideas.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Confusopoly

Soon I will be moving to the UK, and I would like to buy a new phone and SIM there. Deciding which phone to buy won't be big of a problem, but what about the network and subscription plan? Which one fits my needs? The deals offered by the various operators are constantly changing and differ in such a way from each other that making a sensible comparison between them is virtually impossible. So, how is a normal customer, with no advanced degree in mobile telecommunications, going the choose his/her perfect new mobile phone and subscription. Answer: they are not going to. Buying a phone and accompanying subscription plan will be based on sheer guesswork or the work of an overzealous salesperson for most users. Scott Adams, the creator of Dilbert, devised the perfect word for this kind of customer-unfriendliness: Confusopoly. At confusopolists, customers are not king, they themselves are. Their goal: to keep you trapped, because you won't know where else to go.
Well, I can rant on for a bit more, but I still need to buy that perfect phone and subscription... and yes, sad but true: I can't do without one ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home